•We are in the process of revamping this competition. Details will be posted here when available.
Emerging Artist winner for 2016 is
Aalia Hanif, flute
Aalia Hanif, flute
The MSO Emerging Artist Competition provides one or two area young musicians an opportunity to perform as soloist with a professional symphony orchestra and gives recognition to these dedicated young musicians for their hard work and resulting accomplishments. This competition is open to students. Read the following important information and download the registration form at the right.
Overall winner/s of the Emerging Artist Competition selected to solo with the MSO are not eligible to compete in the auditions on ANY instrument during the season immediately following their selection. Any student through twelfth grade in ONE of the following categories is eligible to compete:
• A resident of Rutherford County, TN
• A member of the Murfreesboro Youth Orchestra
• A student of a music teacher residing in Rutherford County, TN
• Judges will be drawn from prominent regional musicians.
• Contestants will be judged on level appropriate difficulty, tone, rhythm, style, execution, memory, and musicianship.
• Adjudicators reserve the right to chose more than one winner or not select a winner.
• Contact with judges is not allowed by participant, parent or teacher. Students will be disqualified if any such contact is made.
• Due to performance costs, and the instrumentation of the MSO at the Family Concert, all applicants and their teachers MUST review repertoire selections with the MSO Music Director, Joseph Lee.• Repertoire shall not exceed instrumentation beyond strings, pairs of woodwinds, standard Romantic brass (4, 3, 3, 1), and timpani plus 2 additional percussion.
• Music rental fees may be incurred in part by those selected to perform with the MSO.
• Each contestant is to perform one movement of a concerto or long form piece with orchestral accompaniment from the standard concerto repertoire. To qualify, selected repertoire must be an original composition for solo instrument with orchestral accompaniment. Ensembles and arrangements do not qualify.
• Duration of repertoire selection must not exceed six (6) minutes. Movements lasting longer than six (6) minutes must be cut to fit time restraints.
• Selections must be performed from memory.
• The performer must provide an accompanist to perform the orchestral part of the audition.
• Each contestant must provide two quality copies of his/her music to the judges (total two copies). Originals or copies bound with scotch tape or in a 3-ring binder are sufficient. If the contestant fails to provide music for the judges, he/she will be disqualified.
• Overall winner(s) will solo with the Murfreesboro Symphony Orchestra during the annual Family Concert.